Saturday, July 13, 2013

Farm Update

It's been a busy week on the farm.  We knew this first year was going to be a learning experience and we've already learned a lot.  I've been doing some research this week on no-till gardening and I am excited to conduct some experiments next year.

I don't know if you've noticed, but we have had a significant amount of rain this year.  At the beginning of the year, I had some mechanical issues with the tiller and we got behind on weed control.  Then the rains started and, you guessed it, we got behind on weed control.  And it has been so wet, we haven't been able to use the tiller.  In fact, there have been several days that we couldn't even step foot in the garden.  I'm hoping that the no-till experiment works and will help us in this area.

Yesterday, I picked some blackberries.  I'm not sure if it's due to the rain or something else, but the blackberries are pretty small.  We haven't had any luck selling them to produce stands, so we are just putting them in our own freezer.  If you would like some, send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

We also have lots of kale.  I'd never really heard of kale before about a year ago and I certainly had never eaten any, but I have to say that it is good.  I have used it in salad, as well as on sandwiches as a lettuce substitute.  And of course, Stephanie has cooked it like other greens and that's very good as well.  She sautés some garlic and onions in olive oil and then adds the kale.  Some people boil theirs first, but the way she cooks it, it has a little bit different texture that I like.  Again, let me know if you want any kale.  If you want to just try Stephanie's recipe, stop by any night around supper time. 

Our tomatoes are starting to turn, so stay tuned and I'll keep you posted.

-Don

No comments:

Post a Comment